Extending Your Stay

How to Extend Your Stay in Canada

Once you have arrived in Canada, it is sometimes possible to change your status in order to extend your stay in Canada.  Generally, visitors are only allowed to stay in Canada for six months or less, but they are able to extend their stay in Canada in some cases.

If you are interested in staying longer, you would apply for an extension.  The application must be submitted at least 30 days prior to the expiration date of your temporary resident visa.  In the event that you remain in Canada beyond the expiration date without an extension, your temporary resident status will be revoked and you might be asked to leave the country.

You are expected to apply to extend your stay in Canada if you’re interested in:

  • visiting, studying, or working in Canada for a longer period of time
  • changing the type of permit you have (from a study permit to a work permit, for example)
  • changing the conditions of your stay (like switching jobs if you are working, or switching schools if you are studying)

The following steps will guide you through applying to extend your stay in Canada.

1.  Acquire an application package

A guide to filling out the application and the necessary forms are included in the package.  You can find it here.

2.  Go through the guide

Before you fill in the application, carefully read the guide.  There is a non-refundable fee for processing the form, so you should ensure that you capable of extending your stay.

3.  Finish filling in the form and submit the appropriate documents

Details for which documents and information need to be included are indicated in the instructions.  Pay attention to what is required to avoid a delay on the application process.

Remember to provide an explanation why you are choosing to apply for an extension to your visit, and assemble all the specific documents.

4.  Pay the fee and collect the receipt.

The application fee is $75, which is only payable in Canadian funds.  It is possible to pay online, or at a financial institution in Canada.

5. Send in the application with the appropriate documents

Once the application is completed, send it to the address provided in the application package.  Remember to attach the receipt for the fee and all the supporting documents.

If you’d like to become a permanent resident:

You would need to leave the country and apply from outside Canada if you wish to extend your stay in Canada as a permanent resident.  You would have to meet the Canadian requirements for immigration.

It is possible to apply for permanent residency from inside Canada if you are:

If you’d like to work or study in Canada:

Generally, visitors to Canada are not permitted to work or study in Canada.  If you are interested in working or studying, you would need to apply for a work permit or a study permit, respectively.  If you are currently visiting the country, you would need to leave and apply from your home country.  There are some cases where you would be able to work or study without a permit.

Remember, the application processing fee is non-refundable, so the application needs to be right the first time.  There are lots of details you must make sure to include, and if information is incomplete or incorrect, the application will be denied and returned to you.  Enlist the help of someone who can take you through the steps and help you complete the forms properly.  An experienced immigration lawyer offers this valuable service.

Need Help?

Need help with your immigration applications...?

Get a professional immigration consultant to help you. Add your name & phone number below and ask your most important question about immigrating to Canada and we'll have one of our featured immigration firms contact you ASAP.

NOTE: All info you add below is 100% confidential!
  • What is your most important question about Canadian Immigration?

If you would like to accomplish more in the country, don’t hesitate to find out what steps to take to extend your stay in Canada.

Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes