How to Apply as a Sponsorship Agreement Holder in Canada
In order to become a sponsorship agreement holder in Canada, an organization must be incorporated. A sponsorship agreement must be signed between the organization and the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration. You can find the agreement here.
An organization can be either local, regional, or national to become a sponsorship agreement holder in Canada, and they would be fully responsible for managing sponsorships under its agreement. An sponsorship agreement holder in Canada needs to be located in the community where the refugee or refugee family is intending to live.
Other groups in the community, known as “constituent groups”, can be authorized by a sponsorship agreement holder in Canada to sponsor refugees under its agreement.
Another organization or an individual could form a partnership as co-sponsors with a sponsorship agreement holder in Canada. The co-sponsor would share the responsibility for supporting the sponsored refugee, and provide additional settlement assistance.
How to apply as a sponsorship agreement holder in Canada
The following steps will guide you through the application process.
1. Acquire an application package
All the forms and a guide to the application will be in the package. You can download it here.
Be sure to carefully read the instructions. Complete the forms with detail and accuracy. It is possible to complete many of the forms on your computer, otherwise you should print them out and use a typewriter or print legibly in black ink. If you do use your computer, you will not be able to save your information, so print the form after completing it.
Make a photocopy of the blank forms so you can use one as a working copy that you can keep for your records.
Don’t forget to add a date and signature to the forms.
The following forms must be completed:
- Undertaking/Application to Sponsor – Sponsorship Agreement Holders or Constituent Groups
- Settlement Plan – Sponsorship Agreement Holders or Constituent Groups. This document allows for a sponsoring group to explain their methods of providing financial settlement assistance to permit the refugee to be successful in Canada.
- Sponsor Assessment. A representative of the sponsorship agreement holder in Canada needs to complete this form (unless CIC has this on file already from a previous sponsorship), along with a representative from the constituent group, if it applies, and a representative of any co-sponsors, if it applies
- Document Checklist
- Use of a Representative. If you are planning on using a representative to assist you when applying, you need to fill in this form.
3. Determine if you are interested in a refugee profile
It is possible for a sponsorship agreement holder in Canada or constituent group to choose to sponsor a refugee or refugee family from another country, such as a community member’s friend or a refugee that has been referred by a contact from another country. This is referred to as a “sponsor-referred refugee”. Visa officers in the respective country will decide if the sponsor-referred refugee is eligible for Canada’s refugee and humanitarian resettlement program.
Another option is a “visa office-referred” refugee, where a refugee has qualified and has been selected, but needs a private sponsor prior to coming to Canada. The sponsorship agreement holder in Canada would request a refugee profile in this case.
The sponsorship agreement holder in Canada can choose the refugee(s) to sponsor by downloading profiles through a secure website, or by requesting a profile through CIC’s Matching Centre.
4. Learn where to send your application
Find the CIC Centre that is closest to the community where the refugee will live, and send the application there.
5. Go over your application and send it
Your application will be delayed if you don’t include all the information, so ensure that you sign and date the forms where applicable, and include the necessary documents. Above the CIC address, print “Private Sponsorship Counsellor” on the envelope, and include your return mailing address.
There is more than simply knowing how to apply as a sponsorship agreement holder in Canada – you might need help with the application itself.
With so many aspects to fulfill correctly, an application is often inadvertently incomplete when submitted. In order to avoid any issues with the application process, you can enlist the help of an experienced Canadian immigration lawyer who can confirm that you follow the proper procedure.
Learn how to apply as a sponsorship agreement holder in Canada, so you can offer a refugee a new home.