Who Can Apply for Canadian Experience Class

Canadian Experience Class Requirements

Canadian Experience Class requirements

Image credit to ralph and jenny at flickr

If you are currently a temporary foreign worker or a foreign student who graduated in Canada, and you wish to apply to reside in Canada permanently, learn about the Canadian Experience Class requirements.  Since you have already spent time familiarizing yourself with life in Canada, you may be considered part of the Canadian Experience Class, which means you have a good foundation for acquiring permanent residency in Canada.

Before you are able to apply, you must determine if you meet the following minimum Canadian Experience Class requirements:

  • You plan to live outside the province of Quebec
  • You are either a foreign graduate from a post-secondary institution in Canada and you’ve been employed as a full-time (or equivalent) skilled worker for at least one year in Canada, or you are a temporary foreign worker who has been employed for at least two years (or equivalent) as a skilled worker in Canada
  • Your experience in Canada was achieved with proper study or work approval
  • You must apply while working in Canada or within one year of leaving your Canadian job
  • Your language test results must be submitted with your application

Skilled work experience is defined by the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC).  It encompasses Skill Type 0 (managerial occupations), Skill Level A (professional occupations) and Skill Level B (technical occupations and skilled trades).

Your ability to communicate in either French or English will affect how your application is assessed.

Requirements for graduates

1) Work experience:

In order to gain the necessary work experience, you could apply for the Post-Graduation Work Permit.  The work permit could be valid for up to three years, and could carry no restrictions on the type of work you can do or where.  You need to achieve this work experience within two years of applying for permanent residency.

2) Education:

Your Canadian credentials must come from either:

  • a full-time Canadian post-secondary educational program that takes at least two years to complete
  • two years of education comprised of a one-year Master’s program and an additional year of education, acquired in Canada, prior to enrollment in the Master’s program.  Certificates and Diplomas are not counted.

Under the Canadian Experience Class, English- or French-as-a-second-language courses are not accepted as education requirements.

Programs must be offered through a provincially recognized private or public post-secondary educational institution, like a college or university, or through private CEGEPs.

During any period of full-time study or training, you must have a proper status.

Canadian Experience Class requirements for language abilities

To be successful in the Canadian job market, being able to communicate in either (or both) of Canada’s official languages, French or English, is essential.  The level of capability depends on which job you have.  Each occupation in the National Occupation Classification system (NOC) has different requirements for language proficiency.  You would only need to exemplify your capability with your first official language.

Learning a new language can be a difficult task, but there are reputable English as a Second Language (ESL) classes that will help to give you confidence in a new language.


Looking for English as Second Language classes? Just fill out your information below and we'll send you a list of all the classes in your neighbourhood.

When you are immigrating to Canada, you want to make the process as easy as possible, so learn about the Canadian Experience Class requirements to see if you are eligible.

Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes